Thursday, May 14, 2009

Widget's Puppies are here!

Quick update then a much needed nap.  Long night as Widget's temp was 96.7 and her progesterone came back 1.0 ng which means puppies are within 12-24 hours away.  She was scheduled at 9 am for a planned C-section since she had trouble with her first litter and these pups were suspected to be large.  So I stayed up all night with her in the whelping box  next to the couch.  745 am she starts panting heavy by 8 am she is clearly pushing.  I was afraid to get in the car and drive the 40 minutes to the c-section right now as I KNOW a puppy is coming very soon, it starts pouring rain with huge thunder going on.  I choose to stay home for the first puppy then leave.  Finally 920 am the first one shows half it's head but Widget can't push it out. I manage to get the puppy out, it is born with no sac and not breathing.  After about 13 minutes I get the puppy screaming and all is well.   Quick look and it is a GIRL!  So we have a blue merle girl.  I get packed up and hit the road abort mission to go to the farther clinic and choose the closer one.  Widget is under anesthesia by 955 am and cutting by 1005.  First puppy out 1008 is a Red MALE with a good size head and after some rubbing/warming/drying etc he is screaming and goes to join his big sister in the incubator as we wait to be handed the next puppy.  Second puppy was breech, it comes out at 1013 we get it all warm and screaming and it is a Black and white GIRL!!  Off she goes to the incubator.  I keep my eye on them, Widget is sewn up.  No extras in there.  Widget is moved to recovery, extubated and warming up.  All the puppies are taken to nurse and do great.  They are finally happy with full bellies as they were starting to get upset and want to speak to the manager about the hospitality in this milk bar.  Off they go back to the incubator.  Widget gets a few minutes to wake up.  Everyone is paid, packed and loaded.  I am home in my driveway at 1143 am.  Widget is set up with her babies snug as a bug in a rug, they are all nursing and very strong.  I am now taking a nap!  
New born puppy photos will be up today.  Puppy theme is Nature Elements.  They are Earth (Black girl), Wind (Blue Merle girl) and Fire (Red boy). 
Olé three week puppy photos will be up today.   And I will upload the videos.
Napping now! :)

2 comments: