Sunday, December 13, 2009

Bo-Tyne Olé June 2, 2005-December 13, 2009

It is with sadness beyond words that I tell everyone that tonight I put Ole and her new litter she was carrying by Sooner to sleep.  4 days ago (day 22 into her pregnancy) she started vomiting.  Not uncommon for pregnancy.  I took her to the vet and was assured it was the pregnancy and we did an ultrasound and confirmed puppies.  The next day she was still vomiting but didn't even wanted to drink water now.  I was worried so took her to the vet again where I insisted they do blood work.  She was in full blown renal failure.  We immediately started treatment and transported her to the Emergency Clinic where she would stay and be treated for the whole weekend.  They started aggressive treatment knowing it would most definitely hurt the puppies but Olé came first to us all. Robbie, Sonya, Mary and I were there by her side.  Steadily I saw no improvement and by tonight the look in her eyes asked me to let her go.  I called all involved with her life and we decided per being at peace was the most important. She went very peacefully in Mary's and my arms.  I made a very hard choice to do an necropsy so that I would have answers not only for myself but for all you guys that have her kids.  
The vet knew how upset we were and did her necropsy right away.  She was shocked to see what she saw.  She had a large portion of her stomach and some area of her intestines leading from her stomach that she sent tissue to pathology but on her initial look was clearly very cancerous.  What type will have to come from the pathologist. Her spleen was clean as was her liver.  She has a suspicious area on her pancreas but suspected that was from the vomiting.  Her kidneys were slightly abnormal in shape but were the same on both sides so she see that as unremarkable.  Her ovaries and uterus was totally normal and she had 7 puppies.  Her heart was normal her lungs were as well.  She was in awe that she was in such amazing shape and was able to conceive with this going on inside her body.  There was nothing I/we/anyone could have done.  We were fight a losing battle that she suspects has been there for a while.  By the time we knew something was wrong and she showed any symptoms it was to late. I wanted to let you all know.  Hug your Olé babies for me!  They are very speical.....they are a "limited edition" as a friend of mine says!
Thanks to Mary Robbie and Sonya for all the support over the last terrible few days.  

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment